Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What every boy needs to know about sex

When I was working on my memoir, WarBaby, I doodled about some of the highlights of my growing up. One memory stands out. It was about sex and the public library.

I was 17. That was many years ago – days when students were required to do hard research and write original papers that had damned well have been at least C-grade in quality. A long time ago, for sure.
I came to love libraries in those days. I did much of my research for papers in the main city  library. It was near my father’s office. After school I’d ride the bus downtown, work in the library and then ride home with my dad.
One day, I was browsing in the library and I came across a book entitled What Every 16-Year-Old Boy Should Know About Sex. Well, being 17, I suddenly developed an overwhelming desire to see if I had missed anything.
I slid the book in with the three or so others I had picked out and approached the check-out lady. She processed my books until she got to The One. The quince-like expression of her face reminded me of Lily Tomlin as The Telephone Lady on the old Laugh-In TV show. (Tells you a bit about how long ago this was, eh?)
“I’m sorry,” she said with a salacious smirk. “You can’t check this book out.”
“Why?” I said. “I’m 17, and the book’s for 16-year-olds.”
“But you have to be 18 to check out books of this nature,” she replied, the salacious smirk morphing into a Leni-Riefenstahl-wannabe grimace.
“That doesn’t make any sense,” I said, asking for the name and address of the head librarian to whom I later wrote.
(His reply was classic bureaucratese – wordswordswords, all saying yesnoyesnoyesno and my favorite “notwithstanding our commitment to learning…”)
I dealt with it. I waited out the bureaucracy. And when I turned 18, I went back and got That Book.
They should have called it What Every Ten-Year-Old Boy Already Knows About Sex.