Friday, January 23, 2015

Honor and 'Deflategate'

Many colleges and universities here in my native Virginia have codes of honor, most dating back many years and shining with that special patina of respect we in the Old Dominion reserve for the best of our traditions.

Absolute understanding of and respect for the Honor Code at my school was the first priority of freshman orientation in my day. So perhaps you can appreciate my astonishment about half-way through my first semester to awaken one morning to the news that several uppclassmen were no longer with us. They had been present the day before. And now they were not.

Well into the night before, the student-run Honor Council had found them guilty of honors violations. And now they were gone. I had known two of them for years. They had been like big brothers to me. I was very sad for them.

But it made the concept of honor very real to me.

And today in the world around us that same concept seems under siege.

Lying, cheating, and stealing seem to have slithered into many of our institutions, both at home and abroad.  

I first started thinking about this several years ago when I read Kurt Eichenwald’s Conspiracy of Fools, a devastatingly honest book about the criminal behavior at that once-paragon of American business – Enron. How else could that have happened without a certain sense of permissiveness, a sort-of winking, nodding, and foot-shuffling among people who deep down inside probably knew better?

And this morning when I picked up my newspaper I saw a Page One story that felt like a little foot-shuffling going on in an unlikely venue.

“Tech to give its athletes stipend for attendance,” the lead headline read.

Right way an alarm went off…and it got louder by the time I got to the Sports Pages where I learned that other prominent state institutions of higher learning were thinking about the same thing.

The alarm sounded this way to me: the professionalizing of big-time college athletics has let the camel’s snout get under the tent flap.

College athletics are incubators for the talent driving professional sports. And things have gotten awfully cozy over the years. This stipend business seems to bring the noose full circle. And since when are those stipends fair when we consider the great majority of students who will be denied comparable goodies?

It’s alarming too because money brings compromise, temptation, and worse to an aspect of higher education that’s shown its bad side many times. Anybody notice what’s been going on at UNC recently?

And if you’re a taxpayer, you need to understand that the Tech program alone referred to in the Times-Dispatch story (which you can read by link here) is going to cost $900,000. Where do you think that’s going to come from?

I think it’s high time we drew a line in the sand and sent the camel packing. Because with the  professionalizing of big-time college athletics, can the supercilious mummery of “Deflategate” be far behind?