Sunday, September 28, 2014

Flash-Mob Your Writing...Maybe


The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts' Studio School in Richmond is a jewel of creative buzz just  waiting for you to discover, if you haven't already.
I got to spend yesterday afternoon there with an eclectic gathering of local authors and writers convened by Piper Nichole just to talk about our stuff.
A wonderful experience! Sort of a slo-mo creative flash mob that Piper organized just because. It was a sunny and mild Saturday @RVA, and there was no more of an agenda than that…just because – just because we can and just because we like it like that.
There was a lot to take away. The most important for me perhaps was a reaffirmation of one of my basic rules of good writing: that it doesn’t happen until I sit down and start. That sounds sort of dumb, doesn’t it. But it’s true. Often my best work happens only after I have settled in to write. The physicality: sitting, using a pen, hearing it scratch across paper, seeing words appear, feeling the mind search in a way it may not during most of a day’s routine. Something gets lit up  in that process.
When I first heard an accomplished author say that she sat to write at a certain time each day whether she felt like or not, I was puzzled. I thought you had to feel inspired first…and then sit. Nope. It seems almost universal among writers I’ve learned from. They sit and start…then it happens.
And how about that pen and paper thing? I do that -- most of the time with a fountain pen. And my computer’s word processor? Or my voice recognition software? I use them for recording notes. Or writing press releases. Formula business writing. But the creative stuff doesn’t work so well for me at a computer.
Except this time. Just this once maybe. I wanted to get this blog out there. So it was like working for the newspaper again. Click-clack, and here it is. There were only a billion other things I wanted to tell you. But you don’t have all day, either, do you.