Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Billion Skinny Razors


Imagine a billion skinny razor blades in a landfill.

Realize that most of those skinny razor blades are entrapped in a custom-made plastic contraption designed to fit on the end of another custom-made plastic thing called a “handle.”

Ten-thousand years from now when they dig up what’s left of our society and find those razor blades, what will they make of them?

Now write a 2,000-word short story about that.
Just kidding…(but don’t let me stop you).
Actually, this was my main shower-musing on a sunny recent morning. I think of stuff like this when I take my morning shower. Only this time I was feeling a bit smug, because I had had the good sense to ditch the custom-made plastic-encased disposable skinny razor blades – they’ve finally out-priced themselves from my market – in favor of a return to good old-fashioned Wilkinson Sword Blade double-edged razors, five to a package for under $2.
Yep. Felt pretty happy with my bad self, I did…

…until I imagined a billion unprotected double-edged, platinum tipped, rust-proof, titanium-inspired razor blades in the same landfill.

I hoped the anthropologists of the future will be wearing Kevlar gloves.