Thursday, August 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW:



 

It's going to take a while for me to digest this, the first Cormac McCarthy book I've read. I've put it off because I was off-put some time ago by a couple of reviews I read. They did not seem to know what they were talking about. Superficial reviews, I'd say. They thought it was just another drug-dealing "thriller" or something.


That might be a part of it, but it’s a minor part of the art. McCarthy's unique voice and process in telling the story serves up the art; and, oh yeah, there’s a pretty good story there too. See?


It seems to flow along like magic on two tracks at once -- one the story, what's happening; the other a miraculously floating odyssey of evil counterbalanced by faith, honest integrity, and a real love story -- all at the same time set against a dystopian backdrop.


Let me be honest about this though -- I think my words are inadequate to fully make the point...so why don't you read it and let me know what you think. I found it hard to put down. And it haunts me now that I have.