Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Bend in the Road


The times are ever-changing, I think we'd all agree. And so am I, but less because of culture than  just because it's me.

I have matured past almost two whole careers, and now a new one beckons. Or rather it does not so much beckon as compel me to pay attention. And follow a new road.

 
I started seeing this bend in the road from far away. I knew change – both cultural and personal were imminent. And unavoidable.

What do we do when we're at such a point? Take inventory of our pluses and minuses -- what we do well and what not so well -- comes first. And while we’re at it, we do the most important thing: we learn where our passions lie.

 I’ll never forget one scene in Chariots of Fire, the multiple-award-winning movie about Eric Liddell and his quest for a gold medal in the 1924 Olympics – Eric, a committed Christian, is telling his disappointed missionary sister that he cannot return with her to China to serve again until he runs in the upcoming Olympics. He tells her he must compete and run because when he does, “I feel God’s pleasure,” he says. That’s what I mean by passion.


So there was I six years ago. I started writing because I felt God’s pleasure in the gift he had given me. I may not execute divinely, but I love trying.

And it explains why two years later I began a four-year quest to pen my first book, a memoir called WAR BABY.

If you want to write a book , a great place to start is a memoir. The research was mostly done. I had lived it, after all. There were just a few facts to check.

And now the result is here.