Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembering



Just about 50 years ago today, I sat on my bed in my family’s home and thought: “This job could kill me…or worse.”

Three days later I got on a bus bound for Fort Jackson, South Carolina and nine weeks of Basic Combat Training courtesy of the United States Army. “This job,” of course, was to fulfill my military obligation to my country.

That meant, either sign up and go, or sit around and wait to be drafted. I made my choice and rolled. I saw it as a patriotic duty – the same as that faced by most of the men in my family going back to the American Revolution.

(And as an interesting sidelight, I have since learned that many of my precursors, being Scots Highlanders in the New World, remained loyal to the British Crown, while others fought for American Independence.)

On this Veterans’ Day, I salute them all, however – each one of whom I have no doubt also sat once in a similar place knowing that they could sacrifice their lives as a part of doing their duty for something they believed in.

That is all.